Thursday, October 3, 2013

Q&A With Hayden


A Q&A which Hayden is so kind to do for me awhile back. ^_~


Q: What's your full name? 

Hayden James Weal. 

Q: D.O.B?

October 27th 1987

Q: Any preferred names, nicknames or alias?

I've never really had a nickname sadly. I always wanted one. My mum used to call me Haybales which I really like. I've tried to get my friends to call me it but no luck so far.

Q: How will you describe yourself?

Scrawny white guy that a lot of people find too loud and too enthusiastic.

Here's loud. 

And scrawny. 

Q: Favorite color?

Purple. It's regal. My bedsheets, duvet cover, pillows and iPad cover are all purple. I even got a tailored purple suit made when I visited Thailand earlier this year.

No, not the Harry Potter blu-ray boxset. The focus is on the purple jacket. =P

Q: Favorite singer/band?
Ooh, that's a great question. That was always my first question when chatting up girls in bars. Music is very important. My favorite band would be The Beatles. I could give you a gigantic list of bands but I'll stick to the one.


Q: Favorite song?
Your Cover's Blown by Belle and Sebastian.

Q: Favorite all-time movie?
Back to the Future! Perfect blend of comedy, action and heart.


Q: Favorite food?
Usually I'd say a greasy fry-up, bacon, eggs, hash browns and kransky. But lately I've been digging more healthy options. Avocado and eggs on grainy toast is a good one. Or salmon! Definitely salmon.

I have no idea what's a kransky either. Googled it and this came up. =X

Q: What do you like to do for your past time?
Watch movies and read. If I have time my favorite thing to do is cook a nice breakfast, brew some nice coffee and read at the table. Simple pleasure but it relaxes me so much and can be exciting if you have the right book.

Q: What annoys you?
When people aren't true to what they think or feel. If you like a certain band or movie that other people think is silly, claim it regardless. Be unashamed about what you love.
Q: Do you drive?
Yes but I don't own a car. My three flatmates all own cars so I bought a scooter so I didn't have to constantly pay for parking and petrol in the city. Plus I look cooler than them now.

Q: Is there a rule/motto you live by?
I think I have a million rules and mottos in my head that I try to live by. One I've always loved is 'It is better to incur a slight rebuke than perform an onerous task'. Roald Dahl wrote that in his only adult book, "My Uncle Oswald" and I think it's a great way to live. Try different things and always try make something fun, even if you risk getting a slap on the hand.
Q: Who inspires you the most?
Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. They wrote Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End together and have created a whole new brand of comedy that is smart and interesting. Hot Fuzz is the reason Hot Rob is called Hot Rob.
Q: Did you study film or drama in college?
I studied film at University straight outta school but it was SO BORING. All talking and writing things down, nothing practical and hands on, which is the only way I can really learn. I wasn't allowed to do Media Studies at high school because the teacher refused to allow me in their class. I had a reputation as a disruption.

Q: What is your dream role?
A character like Marty McFly in Back to the Future. He's positive and a little insecure.


Q: How well-known are you in New Zealand already?
Not very at all! Every now and again someone will recognize me from Hot Rob or Girl vs Boy but not often. The first time I was recognized was for a short film I made with a team of friends called Moffilaide (youtube search: Moffilaide) and it was the best feeling ever. People enjoying what you've made is a great feeling.

Hayden in Girl vs Boy

Q: Which actress/actor is your dream date?
Amanda Seyfried. Her eyes and smile blow my mind.

'Nuff said. Yup. 

Q: Where do you see yourself 5 years down the road?
No idea! Isn't that exciting? I'm going to keep making films with my friends and hopefully I'll get to make longer and bigger ones. The dream is to have a film released in cinemas around the world so everyone can see it!
Q: Do you still keep in contact with any cast from The Hobbit?
Yeah, spending three years of your life with people makes you good friends and entangled in each other's lives in a way.

Martin Freeman and Hayden in front of The Embassy
Q: You mentioned that you have been both Bilbo and Tom Cruise on your Twitter profile, we know about the Bilbo part, but what about the Tom Cruise part? For which movie?
For the TV series Girl vs Boy, my character is called Thomas Cruise because his father is a big Top Gun fan. He's a really lovely, positive and excited guy just like Tom Cruise! If we get another season I'm going to request a 'Tom Cruise run'. Ever notice how often he runs in his action films? He's amazing. Fantastic runner.
Q: You just wrapped on what seems like 'period drama', can you share abit on your character and what the movie is about?
That's a series of adverts for a cinema owned by Jamie Selkirk, Peter Jackson's old editor. It's a gorgeous place, all kitted out to look 1930s. The ads are directed by Mike Wallis (director of New Zealand 'pavlova western' Good For Nothing) and shot by a very talented cinematographer Mathew Knight (he also shot Good For Nothing and Girl vs Boy! NZ is incestuous that way). We were lucky enough to have free reign at Peter Jackson's King Kong costumes and props so it looks very nice.

The series of adverts shot in The Roxy Cinema

Q: Any exciting upcoming projects?
Me and my good friends have been working on a web series that should be released in the next year. We filmed it two years ago and the reason it's taking so long is the amount of special effects. It's a huge show filled with action and comedy and time travel and romance. There are five episodes and we've been making it 100% ourselves, no outside funding so we've retained 100% creative control. Here's a little teaser of it: http://vimeo.com/49668412
Also, we have a new short film that we may be making with the New Zealand Film Commission but I won't talk about that too much coz details are secret! What I can tell you is that if it goes ahead, I'll be the lead character again and it'll be very funny.

Special thanks to Hayden, for taking time out to answer my 'unofficial' Q&A. Hehe. He should be busy writing the script for his next production for now-


Let's leave him to it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment